Central Alabama Community College is a multi-campus community college providing quality, customer-driven educational opportunities to enhance the lives of those we serve.
Prior to consolidation, the State Legislature's approval of Act No. 93 on May 3, 1963, established Alexander City State Junior College. While many organizations and individuals were responsible for the College being located in Alexander City, Russell Mills, Inc. actually donated the property site valued at $750,000. The first classes were held on September 30, 1965, in the old Russell Hospital with an opening enrollment of 442 freshmen.
In September of 1966, ACSJC was moved to its permanent location on Cherokee Road. On October 23, 1966, Governor George Corley Wallace delivered the address at the formal dedication of the College. Alexander City State Junior College was accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools in December of 1969. A new library was completed in January of 1969 and a Health, Education, and Arts complex in January of 1971.
Nunnelley State Technical College in Childersburg was also a direct result of Act No. 93. Along with Congressman William F. (Bill) Nichols, many organizations, individuals, and governing bodies joined together to bring the College to the area. The City of Childersburg contributed some $24,000 for the purchase of twenty-five acres on Highway 280. The acreage was donated to the state for the College site. Construction of the technical college was completed in February of 1966. The College officially opened on March 7, 1966, with an opening enrollment of 35 full-time students.
On September 25, 1966, Governor George Corley Wallace delivered the dedicatory address to more than 1,500 attendees. In just seven short years on December 12, 1973, Nunnelley earned Southern Association of Colleges and Schools accreditation.
Sizeable federal grants in 1973, 1977, 1979, and 1985 allowed Nunnelley to expand plant facilities, program offerings and student services. The present physical plant has more than doubled in size since first opening its doors.
Coosa Valley School of Nursing began as the Sylacauga School of Nursing in 1921 as a hospital diploma program. The school was reorganized in 1951 and continued to operate as a hospital diploma program until 1994, when CVSN introduced an associate degree of nursing program. Academic courses for the program were offered by the ACSJC, and then CACC, since 1972. Coosa Valley School of Nursing merged with Central Alabama Community College in a three-phase program that was completed on November 21, 1996. Coosa Valley School of Nursing moved into the Jim Preuitt Nursing and Allied Health Building on the Childersburg campus in January 2001.
Today, the Alexander City and Childersburg campuses offer resources and expertise which address the education and training needs of central Alabama.
Alexander City Campus
1675 Cherokee Rd
Alexander City, AL 35010
34091 US Highway 280
Childersburg, AL 35044
1009 South Street East
Talladega, AL 35160